Thursday, September 14, 2006

Photo of a red sprite!


I personally tried to catch sprites using my digital camera (Canon EOS 5D) last Monday night at Mont Aigoual. Using a 50 mm lens at f/1.8, ISO 1600 and exposures of 4 seconds, I got my first sprite colour photo! I knew immediately that something happened, because I saw the sprite with my own eyes, while the UFOCapture software made a detection sound. It still was a question whether the camera would be sensitive enough to record the very brief flashes.
The video images show a series of columns followed by a group of large carrots:

I actually saw these as narrow white columns with my eyes. I was able to record a few more sprites (by taking many shots), but did not see any with my eyes. One jellyfish sprite was just missed by my camera and my eyes although I did see the bright cloud flash.

The larger photo can be seen at my website www.lightningwizard.com
(Storms gallery or Latest)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic Image, very pretty. I think that its the first true color image of sprites since 1996 (Sentman's images from UAF airplane).
Yoav Yair, ILAN team

September 15, 2006 9:32 am  
Blogger Leonid Sorokin said...

Great photo!!! You have got the wonderful image! Lightning Wizard have shoot the sprite and now many people will follow your experience.

September 15, 2006 10:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home